7.4.12

[BOOK REVIEW] "Of Mice And Men" by John Steinbeck





rating: *****

John Steinbeck's "Of Mice And Men" is just one of those books you have to read. Despite its arguably miniature size (this particular edition being a smidge over 100 pages long), I find it incredible that something so small can be so powerful. 

Along with "The Woman in Black" by Susan Hill, I ended up breaking my book-buying-ban resolution in order to possess a copy of this book, justifying it to myself because (a) I've read it before, and (b) the stage production came to Edinburgh's Lyceum and I simply had to read the book again to refresh my memory before watching the show.

I originally had to read this wee gem at school (along with millions of others) and, if my memory serves me correctly, I enjoyed the story back then as well. It's a smart little story about two ranch workers, George and Lennie, who travel together looking for jobs during the Great Depression in America. George is small and shrewd while Lennie is large and dimwitted. They're the best of friends and they care a lot about each other but Lennie is dependent on George who basically looks after him. Even though I'd read the book before, the ending was still a shock and I admit I cried quite theatrically!

There are two major themes in this book: Dreams and Lonliness. It seems as though every character is lonely and dreaming of a better life for themselves - George and Lennie share a dream where they will one day live off "the fatta the land" but in the meantime, they combat their loneliness by travelling around together.

I could go on, but I'll just finish here by saying that I give this book five GOLD stars. If you haven't read it, I strongly urge you to do so.

^.^


No comments:

Post a Comment