9.4.12

[BOOK REVIEW] "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest" by Stieg Larsson





rating: *****

Oh boy.

Ok, so this book is the third and final in the massively successful "Millennium" trilogy which, if you've read my reviews for the first and second in the series then you'll know that this is a series that had me hooked, albeit after the first 200 pages of the first book ;-)

And let's get serious for a moment; this book is a mammoth! I take the bus to and from work and reading is basically my favourite part of the day. Having to drag this book around was slightly frustrating (not to mention a little painful on my wrists as I tried to support its hefty weight) but, considering how much I loved loved loved the second book, I was fairly confident that it wouldn't take me long to get through this bad boy. 

Now, I'd heard from a couple of friends that Hornets' Nest gets a tad boring but I had high hopes going into the story as it pretty much picks up exactly where the second book left off! But sadly, this didn't last long and soon I was having to persuade myself to read on the bus instead of listening to my iPod (which suddenly became a lot more appealing).

I have several issues with this book (aside from its slooooow plot) and they are:

  1. Characters' names There are too many characters with ridiculously similar names which caused a lot of confusion
  2. NEWS FLASH! ERIKA GETS A NEW JOB AND I REALLY COULDN'T CARE LESS There is this entire subplot about Erika and her new job which takes up way too much of the book, and my time. I personally think I would have enjoyed the book a great deal more if this whole part was cut out. Actually, just get rid of Erika, she's a waste-of-space character as it is.
So then the book gets alarmingly close to being over and I start to panic because I'm really not enjoying it when all of a sudden, Larsson piles in all the conclusions and ties up all the loose ends in a neat and tidy way. I was relieved to tell you the truth because I was starting to feel as though he had strayed just a little too far from the original plot. 

Phew! 

^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment