9.1.15

"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey [BOOK REVIEW]


If you would like to purchase your own copy of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, CLICK HERE to be taken to my affiliate's page on bookdepository.com!

This was yet another Book Club choice, only difference here was that I had (thankfully) already heard of this book and was relieved that someone had selected something that actually had some merit. No offence, but I was getting a little irritated having to plough my way through mediocre books.

Obviously, the Jack Nicholson film of the same name is based on this book and what with that being such a classic (being one of only three films ever to have been awarded the "Big Five" Academy Awards!), I've not only seen it but own a copy. If you haven't seen it yet, then go do so now! If you have, then it's basically the same in the book. 

That being said, I'd be lying if I said I was over-joyed at the choice. Sure, I was happy that we were getting to read a "modern classic" but I wasn't predicting that it would really add anything that the film hadn't already mastered on its own. In some ways, I was right but in others I was wrong.

Like I said, the story is almost identical - psychiatric hospital run under the tight control of Nurse Ratched (an apt name for such a bitch of a character) turned upside down after a new patient arrives, McMurphy. But I've always found the film to be slightly without depth if that makes any sense whatsoever. I suppose that is supposed to be the point with Jack Nicholson as the happy-go-lucky McMurphy bringing some form of emotion in this warped environment. The book, however, was a lot more entertaining and, despite the overall plot structure to be the same, Kesey's writing was a joy to read. 

I'm not going to get into all the fascinating questions of insanity and the perception of power in such a tiny blog post (mainly because I read this book a while ago and I can't remember most of what I thought!) but maybe one day, if I ever get a chance to look at this book under a microscope, I will return with super insightful observations and we can get a discussion going.

But here are the answers so some other very important questions: 


Would I recommend it? YES
Would I read it again? MAYBE 
Stars out of five? Solid FOUR 

But here, if you don't want to take my word for it, check out these interesting visual rating statistics:

Goodreads: overall 4.17 out of 5

Amazon:


Until next time, happy reading! ^!^


No comments:

Post a Comment