17.11.12

[BOOK REVIEW] "The Death of Grass" by John Christopher


First impressions when I heard the title of book #3 for book club weren't particularly good; I thought it sounded awful, to be honest. I was at the book club get together for "The Shadow of the Wind" and we had all put our suggestions into the bowl and they were getting read out in reverse order. Naturally, my choice, "Looking for Alaska" by John Green, got picked first meaning it was not going to be the selected reading. 


When "The Death of Grass" got read off that little bit of paper, there was a slight pause followed by nervous laughter.

I'm sorry, what? That sounds... bad...

The culprit was a guy by the name of Scott who, when asked, described the synopsis in just about as many words - it's about the death of grass.

Skip forward to the book club meeting where several people, myself included, praised Scott for picking such a fantastic book. Amazing, we said. Perfect! we said. The best book club book yet! 

NEXT BOOK FOR BC: The Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment